Indonesia reports another H5N1 case

first_imgJan 22, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – Indonesia’s health ministry said today that a 30-year-old man from the outskirts of Jakarta has been hospitalized with an H5N1 avian influenza infection.The health ministry said the man was admitted to a hospital in Jakarta after he got sick with a fever, breathing difficulties, and pneumonia, according to a report today from Reuters. If confirmed by the World Health Organization (WHO), his illness will be listed as Indonesia’s 120th H5N1 case.The patient is from Tangerang, a suburb of Jakarta, according to a statement today from Indonesia’s National Committee for Avian Influenza Control and Pandemic Influenza Preparedness (KOMNAS FBPI). The H5N1 findings were confirmed at the health ministry’s Health Research and Development Center and the Eijkman Institute.The man fell ill on Jan 14 and was initially hospitalized in Tangerang 4 days later, according to KOMNAS FBPI. On Jan 20 he was transferred to Persahabatan Hospital in Jakarta. The source of his infection is under investigation, said the report, which did not list any possible exposure to sick or dead birds.Several of Indonesia’s recent H5N1 patients have hailed from Jakarta suburbs, including Tangerang. Indonesian officials banned backyard poultry in early 2007, but officials have had difficulties enforcing the ban, and local people continue to keep birds in their homes and neighborhoods, according to previous reports.In related developments, the WHO yesterday confirmed the previously reported H5N1 infection and death of an 8-year-old boy, also from Tangerang. His illness pushed Indonesia’s case count to 119, including 97 deaths.The boy got sick on Jan 7, was hospitalized Jan 16, and died at an avian influenza referral hospital 2 days later, according to a statement yesterday from the WHO. An investigation into the source of the boy’s infection was continuing, but the WHO said initial reports reveal that he lived near a chicken slaughterhouse.See also:Jan 21 WHO statementlast_img read more

Gateshead revisited

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

GulfSlope to add two Gulf of Mexico blocks to portfolio

first_imgU.S. independent GulfSlope Energy has been the high bidder on two blocks in the Gulf of Mexico Lease Sale 251. Source: Pixabay – under the CC0 Creative Commons licenseThe company informed on Monday that it was apparent high bidder for two blocks covering a total of 10,000 acres in the United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management’s (BOEM) region-wide Gulf of Mexico Lease Sale 251.These blocks include: Vermillion Area, South Addition Block 376 (5,000 acres), which is located in approximately 300 feet of water; and Eugene Island Area, South Addition Ship Block 371 (5,000 acres), which is located in approximately 400 feet of water.John N. Seitz, Chief Executive Officer, commented, “We are very pleased with the potential addition of these two blocks to our position of more than 55,000 acres in the Gulf of Mexico. Both blocks hold attractive subsalt targets and the Vermilion South Addition area has become an important focus area for us, with GulfSlope currently drilling at our Canoe Prospect and planning underway for a subsalt test at our Corvette Prospect.”As announced by the BOEM on August 15, 2018, Lease Sale 251 generated $178,069,406 in high bids for 144 blocks covering 801,288 acres in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico.A total of 29 companies participated in the lease sale, submitting $202,667,923 in total bids.The companies that submitted the bids were Hess, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Shell, Walter Oil & Gas, W&T Offshore, Total, Houston Energy, LLOG, Anadarko, BP, Murphy, Equinor, Byron Energy, Peregrine Oil & Gas II, Castex Offshore, Ecopetrol, EnVen, Talos, Fieldwood, GulfSlope Energy, Deep Gulf Energy III, and SDB Offshore Energy.The Department of Interior had offered 14575 blocks, of which 144 attracted bids. The total number of bids was 171, as some companies were bidding for the same blocks. Green Canyon block 437 attracted the highest amount of bids – four.Most bids came for blocks located in waters 1600+ meters deep, attracting 55 bids. The highest bid for a single block came for the Mississippi Canyon block 338, for which Hess offered $25,9 million.While Hess submitted the highest bid for a single block, ExxonMobil was the highest overall bidder. It had a total of 25 high bids the sum of which was $40 million. See below top ten high bidders.last_img read more

Record year for Dutch Gate terminal as LNG arrivals double and send-out spikes

first_imgSmall-scale momentum continues to pick up Image courtesy of GateThe number of liquefied natural gas (LNG) carriers calling at the Gate terminal in the port of Rotterdam has almost doubled this year as the first such Dutch facility is enjoying its best year since startup in 2011.Gate welcomed 98 LNG carriers at the terminal’s three jetties this year up to date, as compared to 50 vessels for the whole 2017, Stefaan Adriaens, Commercial Manager at Gate told LNG World News on Wednesday.Out of these 98 vessel calls, 50 of them were large unloads of which 17 were transshipments. This compares to 18 large unloads out of which 6 were transshipments in 2017.As previously reported, most of this year’s transshipped volumes at Gate originated from the Novatek-operated Yamal LNG export project in the Russian Arctic.Adriaens said that these Yamal LNG transshipments stopped in September and that none have been conducted at the facility since.From the second half of September, Gate, that has an annual regasification capacity of 12 Bcm, started to boost its send-out to the Dutch grid with the LNG terminal reaching a record monthly quantity of 698.927.966 Nm3 of regasified LNG in November.Gate’s total send-out up to date this year spiked to 2,111,100,952 nm3 compared to 732,531,033 nm3 the facility had regasified during the whole 2017, Adriaens said.“Around half of September, Gate went all of a sudden from a transshipment mode to a regas mode. Apparently, China was already sufficiently supplied and the liquid North West European market provides an outlet for the excess LNG at the expense of the use of storages,” Adriaens said.Gate is currently testing the market interest to increase the send-out capacity by up to 2 billion cubic meters per annum by installing additional equipment.According to Adriaens, Gate with its shareholders Gasunie and Vopak expect to make a decision on this development in the first half of 2019. By Mirza Durancenter_img Adriaens told LNG World News earlier this year that Gate could build another jetty to cater for upcoming demand.This would be the second small-scale dedicated jetty, aimed at catering for the growing interest in small-scale services.“We are still far from a final investment decision (FID) as the first step would be to apply for a permit… We may produce the permit in 2019 and we will also conduct a market test to see if there is enough interest to build a 4th jetty,” he said.Gate conducted 25 small-scale LNG vessel loads this year and it loaded 2,552 trucks boosted by higher LNG supply and bunkering activity. This compares to 22 small loads and 1,629 trucks loaded in 2017.“On the small-scale side, be it delivery by truck or small LNG carrier, we see a steady growth in all markets: as a fuel for trucks, as a fuel for ships or in industrial applications,” Adriaens said.last_img read more

CIMC Sinopacific LEG Carrier Picked Up by Hartmann Group

first_imgShipowner Hartmann Group has purchased a 2019-built liquid ethylene gas (LEG) carrier from China’s CIMC Sinopacific Offshore, shipbroking sources have reported.The 22,000 cbm resale unit was picked up by the German company for a reported price of USD 45 million.The vessel in question (hull 1030) had previously been ordered by Odfjell Gas Carriers at Sinopacific Offshore. However, Sinopacific Offshore and Sinopacific Shipbuilding Group went bankrupt in 2016, and the Norwegian owner cancelled a total of eight gas carriers.According to information found on the Hartmann Group website, the purchase of the resale ship would bring the total number of LEG carriers in the company’s fleet to 15.last_img

Ekpresso’ll Kiss the Canvass in Round 3, Boasts Dodo

first_imgAkeem “Dodo” Sadiku, the idol of Ibadan boxing fans, has declared his readiness to make his fans proud when he confronts Republic of Benin’s Ekpresso Djamihou in an international light middleweight challenge bout on April 21.The encounter is one of the eight bouts scheduled for GOtv Boxing Night 18, which holds at the Indoor Sports Hall of the Obafemi Awolowo (formerly Liberty) Stadium, Ibadan.Dodo, who won his last three fights via knockouts, vowed that he will continue along the same line. “My fans know that I’m the knockout king. I will make them proud by knocking out Djamihou. I don’t see him going beyond three rounds. I’m fully prepared for this bout and he will see hell,” said Dodo.He added that his immediate ambition is to win the national title and believes that very soon, the ambition will be realized.Four other Ibadan-based boxers are slated to fight at the event. They include the highly rated Ridwan “Scorpion” Oyekola, who will take on Tofeek “Taozon” Bisuga in the national super featherweight title bout.The headline bout on the night is the African Boxing Union lightweight title clash between Nigeria’s Oto “Joe Boy” Joseph and Ghana’s Success “Brave Warrior” Tetteh, who has vowed to be the first boxer to defeat his Nigerian opponent. The event will also see Rilwan “Baby Face” Babatunde, West African Boxing Union welterweight champion, back in the ring. He will take on Ganiyu “Energy” Kolawole in a challenge duel. Taiwo “Esepo” Agbaje, best boxer at GOtv Boxing Night 16, will face Michael “Holy Mike” Jacob in a lightweight clash. Fast-rising Adeyemi “Sense” Opeyem will duel with Sadiq “Happy Boy” Adeleke in a national bantamweight challenge.  Also in action are Morufu “Oloke” Owolabi, who takes on Jamiyu “Sunshine” Akande in the lightweight division; and Issac “I Star” Chukwudi, who will fight Ibadan-based Jubril “Terrible” Olalekan. The best boxer at the event will go home with a cash prize of N1million attached to the Mojisola Ogunsanya Memorial Trophy.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Speak out

first_imgMayda del Valle, a National Poetry Slam champion who was on HBO’s Def Poetry, performs at the “Words in Your Face: Poetry, Performance and Politics” event held by Visions & Voices in Bovard Auditorium on Thursday. Other featured artists included Rudy Francisco, 2009 National Underground Poetry Slam champion.Anna Wierzbowska | Daily Trojanlast_img

Marrone impressed with near ‘flawless’ play of Big East Player of Week Holmes, cornerbacks

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Doug Marrone is going to look at the tape. He has to. But that doesn’t mean the Syracuse head coach has to see errors from every unit during every single film session. He doesn’t. This week, Marrone was expecting to see few — if any — flaws in the Orange’s cornerback play from Saturday’s 29-3 win over Akron. He said as much Monday. His defensive flanks — including Big East Defensive Player of the Week Mike Holmes — were pretty much perfect. ‘I don’t know if we’re going to find anything (wrong) on the tape in terms of how (the SU cornerbacks) played,’ Marrone said. ‘There’ll be less to correct with them with the way the corners played in that game and the scheme that we were in, but everyone else has a chance to improve greatly.’ From a team standpoint, the Orange will be hard-pressed to improve upon the individual accolades it attained Monday morning. After the first week of the season, two Syracuse players were selected as the Big East Players of the Week. Sophomore quarterback Ryan Nassib was picked as the conference’s offensive player of the week, while Holmes was tabbed as the conference’s defensive player of the week.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text It was the first time since 2004 the Orange won both the offensive and defensive weekly team awards. Last season, SU registered two winners in the same week when kicker Ryan Lichtenstein won the special teams award and current Tampa Bay Buccaneers No. 1 wide receiver Mike Williams won the offensive award. And the dual-accomplishment within the same week came as a result of a simple variable for Marrone: winning. ‘I think those things happen when you win,’ Marrone said. The win, the accolades and the performances came in just Holmes and Nassib’s first starts at their positions. Each didn’t hesitate in racking up numbers, even if those numbers were in facets of their game each was expected to provide the least in. For Holmes, the senior’s highlight from Saturday came via a punt block. For Nassib, the classic drop-back quarterback scampered for 58 yards, including a 45-yard run to the Akron one-yard line, just seconds before the game ended. He went 17-for-27 for 229 yards with two touchdowns in his first game under center. Holmes, who started at cornerback for the first time after starting at free safety last season, registered six tackles to go along with a 57-yard defensive touchdown, resulting from the blocked field goal he ran back in the third quarter. The touchdown, which saw the speedster Holmes — who is also the team’s starting punt returner — pull away effortlessly from three Zip defenders, provided the Orange with a 23-3 lead with fewer than five minutes left in the third quarter. Live, and on film, the play lasts fewer than 15 seconds. But it is seconds full of errorless football on the part of the SU defense. And it came on a special teams play for the corner. His performance seeped into the part of his game fans expected the least from: punt blocking. And the gunner from the flank rounded out his game with the defensive highlight from this past weekend. On the Orange’s first- through third-down defense, Holmes was a part of that standout group at corner Marrone lauded. Holmes partner in the secondary, Max Suter was equally impressed with Holmes and the cornerbacks play throughout the rest of the game. Suter is expecting the same this weekend against Heisman Trophy candidate and Washington quarterback Jake Locker. ‘Our corners played lights out against Akron,’ Suter said. ‘They have been playing lights out all summer, and those two corners that we have are awesome players. They are going to make plays for us, even with Locker. If our corners do what we are taught, we’re going to be fine.’ Akron’s receivers only gained 111 yards through the air. SU relinquished fewer yards through the air once last year — 104, in a 31-13 win over Rutgers. Just one Akron receiver caught more than two passes, Jeremy LaFrance with seven. But Holmes did perform poorly in one aspect of his game Saturday. On punt returns, Holmes dropped one and failed to return another on kick interference. As for improving that part of his Big East Player of the Week’s game, Marrone, once again, provided a succinct answer. No tape needed. Said Marrone: ‘We’ll address that during the week.’ Lichtenstein… or Krautman? After Saturday’s game and at his weekly Monday press conference, Marrone declined to delve into the Orange’s situation at kicker. Heading into summer camp, returning sophomore starter Ryan Lichtenstein was slated to start for the Orange. But in the third week of camp, Lichtenstein left practice early after attempting just one field goal. In the practices since, Krautman has kicked with the first team as Lichtenstein has been slow to come back. Marrone said SU was resting Lichtenstein throughout the end of camp and never named a starter at the position heading into the Akron game. On Saturday, Krautman got the start and converted on a 47-yard field goal. He also missed an extra point and had another one fail due to a botched snap. With the inconsistent performance from the freshman on Saturday, Marrone was asked Monday where the situation is currently. Marrone said Lichtenstein is working his way back, but he said Krautman should be the starter come Washington Saturday in Seattle. ‘(Lichtenstein) is OK now,’ Marrone said. ‘But we’re happy where we are with Ross (Krautman), we’re happy with his kickoffs. … But right now, it should remain status quo unless something changes throughout the week.’ This and that Marrone lauded the play of his freshmen Monday, hinting many may start as soon as this season. Said Marrone: ‘Some may end up being starters.’ … Marrone said on Monday that in preparation for the Huskies, the Orange will ‘make a lot of changes this week, practice-wise.’ … The blocked field goal leading to Holmes’ touchdown was confirmed as Doug Hogue’s block. The block was originally credited to Chandler Jones. aolivero@syr.edu Commentscenter_img Published on September 7, 2010 at 12:00 pmlast_img read more

County Senior Hurling Championship takes centre stage

first_imgOne of Sunday’s seven games is a repeat of last weekend’s South Final.On that occasion Killenaule lost their title to Mullinahone – but the draw has given them a shot at redemption with the two teams meeting againKillenaule manager TJ Maher says you can’t pick who you get with an open draw and they’ll just have to get on with it.last_img