Diminutive Rates uses strong finish to clinch Summit Point crown LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Tots Carlos led University of the Philippines past University of the East, 22-25, 25-16, 25-22, 31-29.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Her performance powered Motolite-Ateneo to an 8-2 record anchored on its three-game winning run.n the second game, PetroGazz came out of a three-week hiatus with a straight sets victory over Iriga-Navy, 25-21, 25-19, 25-17. The Angels climbed to 5-3, while the Lady Oragons fell to 3-8.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissIn the Philippine Superliga, Foton outlasted Generika-Ayala, 20-25, 25-21, 25-14, 19-25, 15-5, to kick off its campaign in the All-Filipino Conference at Ynares Sports Arena.Meanwhile in the PSL Collegiate Grand Slam, University of Santo Tomas ripped Colegio San Agustin-Biñan, 25-12, 25-13, 25-10. Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. FILE PHOTO BY TRISTAN TAMAYO/INQUIRER.NETJules Samonte banged in six of her eight points in the din of Motolite-Ateneo’s searing fourth-set rally to help beat Tacloban, 25-19, 25-21, 21-25, 25-19, Saturday night in the Premier Volleyball League Open Conference at Filoil Flying V Centre.Samonte delivered the telling blows in the fourth, including four straight hits that gave the Lady Eagles a 16-15 lead after falling behind, 10-14.ADVERTISEMENT Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? MOST READ Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum View comments
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Senate Pro Tempore, Albert T. Chie -Senate Pro TemporeThe President pro tempore of the Senate Albert Chie has clarified that the Senate is yet to receive a proclamation from President George Weah, requesting the Legislature to return to the Capitol Building for extraordinary session.“I don’t know about any communication from the Lower House, but there is no communication from the Senate. Our return from the break can only be effected through an issuance of a proclamation from the President, and such is yet to happen,” Chie said.Chie maintained that a long-closed door visitation to House Speaker Bhofal Chambers was merely on friendship basis, and not for plans of any imminent return.There have been unauthenticated reports within the media of an imminent return of the Legislature to the Capitol Building in the wake of the alleged missing billions of Liberian dollars from the Central Bank of Liberia.The CBL prints local currency based on the Constitutional authorization from the Legislature.As late as last week, there were persistent reports that the House of Representatives was all but set to return from break, and that there were alluring pecuniary benefits of over a million United States dollars for returning lawmakers.On the issue of the “missing bags or container of money,” Chie said everyone is awaiting results from the team put together to investigate the issue. “I don’t know about the veracity of the information as much as to whether money is missing or not; the investigation will tell. I am really not bothered or worried,” he said.The Grand Kru County lawmaker asserted that in order to satisfy those opting for the recount of the money still in the CBL vault as claimed by the Bank, Senator Chie said a group of forensic auditors that are coming in can determine that.In recent weeks, both the chairman on the Senate Committee and a member of that committee, senators A. Marshall Dennis and J. Milton Teahjay, at separate press conferences, maintained that besides the authorization granted CBL to print the five billion dollars intended to replace mutilated bank notes, no further authorizations for more printings were issued or granted.Meanwhile, Senator Chie has disclosed that the Senate returns in January, to celebrate its first anniversary under his leadership and will be greeted by challenges of a huge backlog of unfinished businesses, which he assured will be tackled head on.Chie lamented his inability to visit his county during this break, because all roads leading to the Southeast are not passable, saying that this is part of the reason why the current government is fighting hard to ensure that all roads are paved.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The NEBC & Yukon Midget AAA Tracker-Flyers have had a tough start to the 2008/09 season.After 2 home losses to defending RAMHL champ Camrose last weekend, the team travelled to Cold Lake, for another tough set of games against the Northeast Panthers.On Saturday night, the Panthers prevailed in a very close game, 6-5 the final score.- Advertisement -Sunday’s game was even more wide-open, with the Panthers winning 10-7. The Tracker-Flyers’ schedule should get a little easier from here, with three home games next weekend. On Friday night, the Tracker-Flyers host the Wainwright Polar Kings in Taylor.On Saturday at 11:30 AM, NEBC again hosts Wainwright, this time in Dawson Creek.And then on Sunday at 11:30 AM, the team faces Fort McMurray in Taylor.Advertisement
While the Government of Canada has undertaken several measures to provide individuals and businesses with improved access to credit, including through the Business Development Bank of Canada, the Export Development Corporation and the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, farming is a unique industry making important contributions to both our society and our economy. “Ottawa News Brief: Farmers Get Better Access to Credit and ePassports Explained” Easier access to credit will help to establish and improve farms here in Prince George-Peace River and all across Canada. Various countries (57 and growing) already issue ePassports, which offer increased security with greater protection against fraudulent misuse and tampering, as well as reduced risk of identity fraud. Like many businesses, Canadian farm operations are feeling the “credit crunch”, arising from lenders reluctant to provide loans amidst the global economic recession. In preparation for full implementation, Passport Canada has begun issuing all special and diplomatic passports as ePassports. MP Report by Jay Hill, M.P. Agriculture co-operatives with a majority farmer membership (50 percent + 1 farmer members) will be eligible for loans of up to $3-million for the processing, marketing or distribution of farm products. Loans are currently limited to co-operatives owned 100% by farm members. Coming in 2011: What is an ePassport? An ePassport looks like a regular passport yet it contains an embedded integrated chip and antenna. The chip contains a digital version of the bearer’s identification information found on page two of the passport, including the bearer’s photo. The Canadian ePassport features the international ePassport symbol on the front cover with the chip in the back cover. If passed by Parliament, Bill C-29 would expand the Farm Improvement and Marketing Cooperative Loans Act (FIMCLA), and re-name it the Canadian Agricultural Loans Act (CALA), to ensure farmers will be eligible for new loan guarantee limits of up to $500,000, double the current limit of $250,000. As announced in Budget 2008, the Government of Canada has committed to issuing a higher-security electronic, or ePassport, by 2011. These new passports will be valid for 10 years, double the validity period of current Canadian passports. New farmers, who are currently not eligible under the FIMCLA, will be eligible for loans under the new CALA. Intergenerational farmers taking over their family farm will also now have loans of up to $500,000 available to them. As Government House Leader, I am working hard behind the scenes with the opposition parties to ensure quick passage of Bill C-29. For more information, go to: www.agr.gc.ca The ePassport contains a proximity “contactless” chip that must be held within 10 centimetres of an electronic reader in order to be read. Other security measures ensure that the chip cannot be read unless the passport is open and the Machine-Readable Zone on page two has also been read. More information can be found under the “Frequently Asked Questions” section at: www.passport.gc.ca.- Advertisement – Recognizing that we must continue to work hard to ensure farming remains a viable career choice in this country, our Conservative Government introduced new legislation last week to guarantee an estimated $1-billion in loans over the next five years to Canadian farm families and cooperatives. Most of these loans will go to farmers and cooperatives previously ineligible.
0Shares0000Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi in club coloursBARCELONA, Spain, Sep 3 – Lionel Messi has admitted he was surprised by Cristiano Ronaldo’s decision to leave Real Madrid and join Juventus.Messi also believes the transfer will leave Madrid worse off and says Juve are now among the clear favourites to win this season’s Champions League. Ronaldo swapped Spain for Italy in a deal worth 100 million euros ($117 million) in July, after securing a third consecutive European crown, and his fourth in five years with Real.But Messi, who missed out on a three-man shortlist for FIFA’s world player of the year award on Monday, feels the balance may have shifted following the 33-year-old’s exit.“I was surprised, I didn’t imagine him leaving Madrid or that he would go to Juve because there was talk of many clubs (interested). The truth is I was very surprised but Juve are also a very good team,” Messi told Catalunya Radio.“Real Madrid are one of the best teams in the world and they have a great squad but it’s obvious the departure of Ronaldo makes them less strong while Juve have become a clear favourite for the Champions League.“They already had a good team and now they also have Cristiano Ronaldo.”Madrid’s dominance in Europe has made failure even harder to swallow for Barcelona, whose shock defeat by Roma in April meant crashing out in the quarter-finals for a third consecutive season.Even winning both La Liga and the Copa del Rey last term for a domestic double was not enough to extinguish the disappointment.“It’s time to win the Champions League,” Messi said. “We’ve been knocked out in the quarter-finals three seasons in a row and maybe the last one was the worst of all because of the result and how the match was played.“I think we have to aim for that, as a club, as a team and as a collective. We have a spectacular squad and we can do it.”Ronaldo has failed to score in his first three Serie A matches for Juventus © AFP/File / Andreas SOLARORonaldo’s move was the latest example of increasingly lavish spending by Europe’s biggest clubs, with Neymar, Kylian Mbappe, Philippe Coutinho and Paul Pogba all snapped up for more than 100 million euros over the past two years.Messi believes the lure of Barcelona and Real Madrid is now being neutralised by the mouth-watering sums on offer.“There are clubs now with a lot of money and players move for that reason,” he said.“Wherever the most money is, that’s where they end up going. Things have changed and now the owners of clubs are multi-millionaires.“Before, everyone wanted to play for Barca or Madrid, who were the best, but now everything’s tighter and there’s not much of a difference between the teams in Manchester, PSG, Madrid, us, Bayern (Munich) and the Italian (teams).”Barcelona signed four players this summer, with Arthur Melo, Clement Lenglet, Arturo Vidal and Malcom all arriving at the Camp Nou.Messi singled out Arthur, the 22-year-old Brazilian playmaker, for special praise.“If I have to say one, I’ll go with Arthur, who surprised me because I did not know much about him,” Messi said.“He has a style very similar to Xavi’s, he always wants the ball, does not lose it, plays short passes and is very reliable.“He has the style we always look for here.”0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
Check out the winner in the Budweiser Dream Goal competition
David Seaman says Joe Hart remains England’s undisputed number one despite the emergence of Jack Butland.Butland has impressed in the Premier League for Stoke this season and was given his chance to impress for the Three Lions in their final Euro 2016 qualifier against Lithuania.The 22-year-old claimed a clean sheet with a solid display and is being tipped to push Hart hard for his starting jersey, but Seaman insists he still has some way to go to oust the Manchester City star.“For me, Joe is number one by a long way,” the goalkeeping legend, who won 75 caps for England, told talkSPORT“He is a proper goalie. He is being tested every week, he has played big high-profile games.“Jack will get that eventually, he is sampling England games as well, so his experience will build. But, for me, Joe is way out there.”
Nolito is also interesting Barcelona 1 Arsenal transfer target Nolito scored a Ronaldinho-esque chip for Spain on Saturday night they ran out 3-1 winners over Bosnia and Herzegovina.The 29-year-old was linked with Arsenal back in January and is also interesting La Liga champions Barcelona and this goal would have gone those rumours no harm.Nolito has been at Celta Vigo since 2013 and looks set to make the Spanish squad for Euro 2016 after the omissions of Fernando Torres and Diego Costa, despite making less than ten appearances for Spain.And he impressed in his country’s final warm up game before the squads are finalised on Tuesday, scoring twice.See below for the pick of his strikes, a lovely no back-lift chip!
Chris Goldstein, a senior Snyder partner, said the project is still in the design phase but it will probably be an open-air retail complex. “It’s hard to put your arms around the actual cost, but it’s a substantial-sized project.” Metsos has already sold his land and the business for what he said was fair market value. But today will still be a sad day. “We didn’t want to close this one. It’s the very first one and sort of started the Lamplighter legacy in the San Fernando Valley,” he said. Starting about 4 p.m. today, Metsos will host an open house for employees and regular customers. It will last into the evening. Waitress Trisha Thomas has worked at the restaurant 14 years and will move to the Sherman Oaks location. “I’m heartbroken because it’s my home,” she said of the North Hollywood eatery. It’s going to be a change, too, for Sandra Kline and Dan Fine, independent fitness trainers at Gold’s Gym, just three doors up the street. Both love the Lamplighter’s fitness menu. “I bring one of my customers here after we work out and she orders the food to take home to her 90-year-old mother,” Kline said. Fine, also a competitive body builder and bass player in the L.A. rock band Paperback Hero, is at the restaurant six times a week. “I can’t even tell you how frustrated and disappointed I am. I get the healthy food I need and I eat it right up until my tournaments.” Metsos is thinking about opening another restaurant, though maybe not in the immediate area. There’s too many memories for that to happen just yet, but this section of North Hollywood has treated him well. “When a restaurant lasts for 29 years, the location was pretty good,” Metsos said. While today is its last day, the restaurant already had a nudge from Mother Nature. The distinctive sign is no more. “The wind blew it down last weekend,” Metsos said. “I think it was my Dad, so I just left it down.” Gregory J. Wilcox, (818) 713-3743 firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card Metsos and his sister, Sophia Rohde, own Lamplighters in Chatsworth and Sherman Oaks; those eateries will remain open. Metsos also owns Pattie’s in Toluca Lake and hopes to find work at the other facilities for the North Hollywood employees. His is one of many businesses that will be shuttered in the coming months to make way for a 100-acre redevelopment that includes the Valley Plaza and Laura Plaza shopping centers. This week the area, previously designated an earthquake reconstruction zone, was reclassified as a community redevelopment project, which gives the city much broader powers over the land’s ultimate use. J.H. Snyder Inc. has the exclusive negotiating rights on the Valley Plaza portion of the property, about 17 acres. The company is already building NoHo Commons, a $200 million mixed-used project featuring residential and commercial units near the North Hollywood Red Line subway station. Snyder is in the process of acquiring the land but construction is probably at least a year away because the project still faces an environmental review process. NORTH HOLLYWOOD – Almost 29 years to the day after its opening, George Metsos will turn out the lights at his Lamplighter Restaurant tonight for the last time. The party’s finally over at this popular east San Fernando Valley eatery. It’s being overtaken by progress, though it doesn’t feel that way to Metsos and his 28 employees. “We opened on my father’s and mother’s wedding anniversary, so I figured it would be a good time to close,” he said Thursday. “It’s sort of depressing for me.” In the restaurant founded by his parents, Peter and Elaine, George stared working opening day as a line cook. He’s been there ever since.