The government of Ghana has granted nearly 4,000 former Liberian refugees permanent stay in Ghana, the Deputy Minister of Interior, James Agalga has announced.In line with this, the former Liberian refugees will be able to take advantage of the numerous opportunities in the country for their personal development.At the commemoration of the World Refugee Day organized by the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR), several Liberian refugees were granted passports with permits for legal residence in the country.Mr. Agalga, speaking at the event, said everyone should use Refugee Day to “express appreciation and thanks to the citizens of Ghana for showing profound hospitality towards refugees.”He also said that Ghanaians were clearly adhering to the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees, which legally defines who refugees are, their rights, as well as legal obligations of the states involved.“Ghana is one of the only host countries in the world that has issued Convention Travel Documents to refugees who need to travel,” he said.He however urged the former refuges to reciprocate the goodwill by being law-abiding and focus on opportunities.UNCHR Representative Ghana, Chansa Kapaya, commended Ghana for fulfilling her international obligation and being generous asylum country since the early 1990s.“We say thank you to the government and the people of Ghana for your hospitality for hosting asylum seekers and refugees within your communities,” she said.Worldwide, there are 16.7 million refugees, with 2.9 million in Sub-Saharan Africa, however, some of them are going home now, she said.Ms. Kapaya noted that similar home-coming efforts were being made for refugees everywhere.According to The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), last year, 414,600 refugees returned to their respective countries.Currently, plans are in place to send Togolese refugees home by 2015.Unfortunately, that still leaves millions of displaced people, including over 20,000 in Ghana.Conflict in the Central African Republic and Mali, as well as unstable security in Nigeria has caused many more to flee their homes.The number of refugees, asylum-seekers and internally displaced people has, for the first time since WWII, exceeded 50 million.Susan Ngongi, UN Resident Coordinator, said many host countries have “shown generosity well above their means.”She referred to Ghana as a “good example which lives up to international expectations to protect refugee. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
…as workers, management settle disputeAfter demanding improved working conditions and a resolution to a pay dispute, sugar workers attached to the Uitvlugt Sugar Estate, on the West Coast of Demerara, ended their strike action on Wednesday. This came after the 162 members of De Kindren (DK-8) gang took industrial action over the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) reportedly refusing to give $2700 for a six-hour pay.The Uitvlugt Sugar EstateAccording to information received on Wednesday, managers divided the DK-8 gang into two groups to carry out duties over a longer period of time. As such, the DK-8 gang will perform duties to achieve 60 punts for ‘cut and stock’ and 22 punts for ‘cut and roll’. This comes after reports that grinding was being affected by the industrial action.Though they agreed to perform tasks, workers said they are still affected by the many vines growing among the canes, in addition to deep mud in the fields owing to the continued rainfall. The Uitvlugt workers were also frustrated when the Sugar Corporation paid their weekly salaries four days late. Some of these workers were transferred to Uitvlugt when Government ceased operations at Wales Estate in December 2016 under austerity measures.In recent days, GuySuCo did not say how the shortfall of 162 workers would affect operations. However, union representatives have been meeting with management on behalf of workers. Last week, workers nationwide were not paid their weekly wages but following reports by this newspaper, GuySuCo finally honoured its obligations and employees received their salaries this week. Representatives reportedly said that they were told that funds were not available.Protest for severanceMeanwhile, dismissed workers from Skeldon and Rose Hall Estates staged a picketing exercise outside of the Prime Minister’s Office in Region Six (East Berbice- Corentyne) at Port Mourant on Tuesday. The ex-workers continued to demand that Government settles the outstanding severance payments to them. They have been owed since December 29, 2017 but have only received half of their payments. This issue is at the centre of a civil suit at the High Court which contends that Government’s half-pay is unlawful.Many of the protesting former employees have claimed that the funds from the first half of their payment have already been exhausted as they have not been able to secure steady employment. The protesters had also vented their vexation of President David Granger’s recent comments that their payments were taking away from other sectors.
…visiting Guyana for Christmas Hours after an elderly couple arrived at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport, Timehri, East Bank Demerara, they were attached and robbed by three men, one of whom was armed with a handgun.Based on reports received, upon arrival at the airport, Manboth and Kamala Shivran boarded a taxi and requested to be taken to their Lot 233 Ginder Lilly Avenue, Eccles, East Bank Demerara home.They had travelled from Texas, United States to Guyana to spend the Christmas season with friends and family. However, as they were heading to their destination, and in the vicinity of Craig, EBD, the driver, Jermaine Stephens, claimed he had suffered a puncture.Stephens reportedly disembarked the vehicle to attend to the flat, leaving the two elderly people in the car. In the process of changing the flat, a white Toyota Premio motorcar bearing registration number PSS 3916 pulled up alongside the car and stopped.Three men exited the car and Stephens assumed they came to his aid, but instead one of the men whipped out a handgun and held the two-elderly people along with the driver at gunpoint.The elderly couple was relieved of close to US$15,000 in items and cash. The gunmen also relieved the driver of his cash and mobile phone. The bandits also took the couple’s passports and phone.Guyana Times understands that after committing the robbery, the men fled the scene. The matter was reported to the Police, but no arrests were made. Over the past few days, several persons including business people were robbed of cash by gun-toting men.This occurrence, as seen in the past, is prevalent during the Christmas season. In November the Police launched the Christmas Security Plan for the festive season, including an increase in mobile patron.
By Energeticcity.ca StaffA crew of up to 2,300 people are expected to hit Fort St. John’s streets in the annual spruce up Thursday.Pitch-In Day is tomorrow and local organizations and schools will once again be armed with bags to pick up garbage all day long.- Advertisement -It is part of Pitch-In Week, with the city encouraging residents to clean their yards, homes and back allies.As an added incentive area residents should have received a coupon for free access to the Fort St. John landfill. To get involved in the Pitch-In Day, or for more information, you can call 250-787-5791.
Anthony Martial made his international debut on Friday night as France played Portugal in a friendly.The pacy attacker came off the bench to replace Karim Benzema and had 16 minutes to make a mark.While he didn’t look too effective, Martial, wearing the No. 20 shirt, was on the pitch when Mathieu Valbuena curled home the winning goal from a free-kick.You can see how Martial got on in the video above…
Simon Clare joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.Coral’s PR manager brings us the latest odds ahead on tonight’s Champions League action, with Manchester United’s campaign on a knife edge.Can Louis van Gaal’s men find their shooting boots at the right time? The Red Devils travel to Wolfsburg in what is a crucial final group game, and are 20/10 for victory against the German side.The draw is priced at 12/5 draw, and if that should happen, United will have to hope PSV also tie their game against CSKA Moscow to have any chance of progressing.Manchester City are the other Premier League side in action tonight and, though already through, are 4/6 to beat Borussia Monchengladbach at the Etihad Stadium, with a win likely to see them top the group.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast
The question for voters in the Centinela Valley High School District on Nov. 6 is whether progress in the district over the past four years has been sufficient to re-elect the two incumbent candidates, or whether change is needed. Incumbents Jorge Luis Arroyo and Rafael Ramirez say problems persist but point to a district with more stable finances, better teacher retention, an uptick in standardized test scores and more students attending four-year universities. Challengers Gloria Ramos-Jaime and Sandra Suarez, who have the backing of the Centinela Valley Secondary Teachers Association, want to replace Arroyo and Ramirez and place increased emphasis on communication among administrators, parents, teachers, students and the community. We agree with the challengers’ perspective. While some see the district making incremental progress, we see Academic Performance Index scores that have leveled off, with this year’s Leuzinger High School score of 552 ranking dead last among South Bay high schools. We also see a continuing state of uncertainty stemming from the unfinished performing arts center at Lawndale High, contractor lawsuits and more fights this year at Hawthorne High. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Ramos-Jaime and Suarez have seen how the district functions from a grass-roots level and should be in a good position to make some necessary changes. Ramos-Jaime was a longtime Centinela employee who most recently served as the librarian at Lawndale High School. Suarez has served as PTSA president at Leuzinger and was co-founder of a nonprofit group aimed at improving education. She currently has two children attending Leuzinger. Both Ramos-Jaime and Suarez have expressed opposition to the district spending taxpayer money to fight a secession attempt by the Wiseburn School District, one of Centinela’s feeder districts. The challengers said they would focus on more technology- and industry-based education and ensure that classrooms at the performing arts center will be used to the benefit of students. Ramos-Jaime recognizes that smaller learning environments, such as Lawndale High, offer a better chance to improve student performance. Rather than trying more experimental programs, Suarez would like to see the district create a culture of high expectations and achievement. Putting all this into practice throughout the district would be difficult, of course. But we think Ramos-Jaime and Suarez would be dedicated to working hands-on with all the education stakeholders. They have our endorsement on Nov. 6. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
O’HANLONThe sudden death has taken place of Susan O’Hanlon, 6 Fairgreen Hill, Long Lane, Letterkenny. Removal from Letterkenny General Hospital Chapel of Rest today, Saturday, at 3pm, going to her late residence. Funeral from there on Monday morning at 9.15 for 10 o’clock requiem mass followed by interment in New Leck Cemetery. Family time please from 11pm to 9am.GAVIGAN The death has occurred of Joe Gavigan of Crove, Carrick. Reposing at his last residence. Funeral Mass tomorrow, Sunday, at St. Patrick’s Church Meenaneary at 1pm. Burial afterwards in Kilcar Cemetery.McKINNEYThe death has taken place at Lifford Hospital of Thomas Mc Kinney, Drumlougher, Carrigans. Removal from Lifford Hospital today at 1.30pm, going to his late residence. Funeral from there on Monday at 2pm for Service in Newtowncunningham Presbyterian Church, followed by burial in the family plot. Family time please from 11pm to 11am. Family flowers only please.SHOVLIN The death has occurred at Letterkenny General Hospital of Nancy Shovlin, Caravan Road, Dungloe. Her remains will repose at McGlynn’s Funeral Parlour, Chapel Road with viewing from 2pm today, Saturday and Holy Rosary at 9pm. Funeral Mass in St Crona’s Church, Dungloe, on Monday at 11aam, followed by burial in the adjoining graveyard. Family flowers only please, donations in lieu if desired to Medical 2, Letterkenny GeneralHospital c/o Shaun McGlynn, Funeral Director or any family member.MARLEYThe death has taken place of Michael Marley, Carricknamana, Killygordon. His remains will repose at his home from 4pm today, Saturday. Funeral from there on Monday at 10.30am for 11am Requiem Mass in St Patrick’s Church, Crossroads. Interment in the adjoining cemetery. Family flowers only, donations in lieu to Medical 1, Letterkenny General Hospital c/o any family member. Family time 11pm – 10am.GALLAGHERThe tragic death has occurred of Paul Gallagher, 36 Dr Mc Ginley Road, Letterkenny. His remains are reposing at the residence of his sister Donna Gallagher, 13 Ard Na Ri, Letterkenny. Funeral mass in St Eunan’s Cathedral, Letterkenny tomorrow, Sunday, at 2.30pm, followed by burial in St Columba’s Cemetery, Kilmacrennan. DOHERTYThe death has taken place at her home of Maureen Doherty (Roe), Railway Road, Buncrana. Funeral from her home tomorrow, Sunday, at 12.45pm going to St Mary’s Church, Cockhill for Funeral Mass at 1.30pm. Burial afterwards in the adjoining cemetery.DONEGAL DEATH NOTICES FOR SATURDAY, JANUARY 7, 2012 was last modified: January 7th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:2012DONEGAL DEATH NOTICES FOR SATURDAYJANUARY 7
CASTAIC – County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich withdrew a proposal to locate a winter homeless shelter on the grounds of the Pitchess jail, citing the Castaic Town Council vote against locating the temporary facility there, officials said Friday. County officials maintained that the plan could work – the 40-cot shelter would have opened at Pitchess Detention Center’s visitors’ parking lot from Dec. 1 through March 15, perhaps once every four to six years. But last week’s 4-3 vote by the local policy advisory panel against staging any homeless facility in Castaic – an unincorporated community of 22,000 northwest of Santa Clarita – convinced them to back off. “Supervisor Antonovich will oppose placing the shelter at Pitchess,” said Tony Bell, spokesman for Antonovich, whose 5th District includes Castaic. “The community spoke through the Town Council, and he will honor their wishes. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week “We are working to find an alternative solution that makes sense to the homeless to the community of Santa Clarita Valley. We’re confident we can find a solution for all parties involved.” The Pitchess proposal was scrubbed as Antonovich is working to keep constituents happy with county governance – some Castaic residents and business owners have talked of annexing to the city of Santa Clarita. But Bell denied this influenced the decision. “The supervisor was under no pressure whatsoever,” he said. “He merely took into account the views of the community.” John Kunak, president of the Castaic Town Council, said he was pleased with Antonovich’s decision. “I’m very pleased to see the supervisor has listened to the community view as said to him by the Town Council,” said Kunak, who backed the county plan, but voted against it after dozens of opponents packed last week’s Town Council meeting. “I felt that my responsibility was to represent the people, and the people were telling me not to do it. Antonovich did the same thing.” Opponents said a shelter would increase crime in the community – the county lockup is within a mile south of the nearest subdivision, separated by an eight-lane Interstate 5. Sheriff’s officials have said the facility has had no impact on crime in neighborhoods that have hosted it. Council member Lloyd Carder II, who supported the shelter plan, said he was disappointed by the local reaction. “I wonder if these people are going to be happy if a child succumbs to the elements because the mother couldn’t find shelter,” he said. “Everybody is afraid of the unknown. I’ve actually met some of these people, and it changed my way of thinking. It’s possible we could’ve changed theirs. We just didn’t do a good job.” “The county did a very good job presenting this proposal,” Bell countered. “In addressing the concerns of the Town Council at the meeting, we feel that we’ve met most of the expectations. However, at the end of the day, they voted to oppose. “We do maintain that it’s a good site. But it’s not a good site if the Castaic community doesn’t want it there.” Meantime, the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority on Friday granted the Santa Clarita Community Development Corp. the contract to open a local emergency shelter for the ninth consecutive winter. Some wonder whether it could open on time, even if the county offers an alternative. “Basically, we would have to issue all the contracts by the first week of November,” said Andy Pattantyus, an SCCDC board member. “Right now, it seems unlikely we would open on the first of December.” The embattled nonprofit group never had a permanent facility, and complaints from residents have forced it to relocate every few years. The county in August proposed a long-term solution: It would partner with the city and rotate the shelter among four to six sites each year between the two jurisdictions. Officials offered Pitchess as this winter’s shelter site – it will reopen in December 2006 at a yet-undetermined city site. Pattantyus remains optimistic that the county would come through. When the city turned the shelter out of the Via Princessa Metrolink Station last year, the county offered a maintenance yard on Centre Pointe Parkway. The 40-bed facility opened nearly a month late on Christmas Eve, hosting about 77 homeless. Of those, 19 managed to obtain permanent housing, the SCCDC said. “I’m not going to hold my breath because I’m not too sure how long I have to hold it,” Pattantyus said. “But the county and LAHSA want something to happen. It’s just a matter of how they do it, with some degree of buy-in from the community. “At some point, decisions have to be made for the greater good. That’s the dilemma facing the county – they have to make a decision for the greater good knowing the decision is going to be unpopular.” Bell said the county was up to the challenge. “The clock is ticking, and we’re well aware of it,” he said. “We’re confident we will come up with a suitable alternative.” Eugene Tong, (661) 257-5253 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!