State yet to receive Centres direction on nodetention policy

first_imgKolkata: State Education minister Partha Chatterjee on Friday said no written intimidation from the Centre has reached the state with regard to detention or no detention issue.”We have communicated our views in this regard to the Union Ministry of Human Resource. But how can we proceed further if there has been no specific directions from the centre?” Chatterjee said on the sidelines of a programme organised by Paschim Banga Samagra Siksha Mission at Mahajati Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeSadan on Friday. A senior official of the Education department said there have been discussions in this regard and the Centre wants to introduce detention in class V and VIII but no circular on this issue from the Centre has been received by the state as yet. It is learnt that the Education department wants the pass-fail system to be introduced from Class V and has already intimidated the Centre about this. Educationists in the state believe the standard of school education has declined since the introduction of the ‘no-detention’ system in 2009. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThe “no detention” policy, mandated by the Centre’s Right to Education Act, was introduced in 2009 to ensure children till 14 years of age did not quit studies over fear of failure. In the present system, students till Class VIII are awarded grades and not marks and are promoted even if they are not ready for the next class that has ultimately resulted in difficulty while coping with the syllabi of classes IX and X. Educationists in the state believe the standard of school education has declined since the introduction of the ‘no-detention’ system in 2009.last_img read more

Typhoon causes flight disruptions at Tokyos major airports

first_img Posted by Share The Canadian Press Monday, August 22, 2016 TOKYO — Strong winds from a typhoon forced air traffic controllers to temporarily abandon the control tower at Narita International Airport on Monday, shutting down one of Tokyo’s two main airports for about an hour. Hundreds of domestic flights were cancelled at the city’s other major airport.Narita was closed at 2:20 p.m. after the controllers left the tower when wind speeds reached 126 kilometres (78 miles) per hour, said a Transport Ministry official at the airport who would give only his surname, Matsumoto. The airport reopened around an hour later.It was the first time the tower had been closed because of a typhoon. It closed once before, because of shaking during the magnitude-9.0 earthquake that triggered a massive tsunami in March 2011.Typhoon Mindulle, which made landfall south of Tokyo early Monday afternoon, brought heavy rain and strong winds to Tokyo and surrounding areas.Eleven people were injured, three seriously, said Japan’s Fire and Disaster Management Agency.More news:  Can you guess the one and only hotel company to rank on Indeed’s Top Workplaces in Canada list?South of Tokyo in Kanagawa prefecture, a woman was unconscious after being washed away on a flooded road, and another woman, in her 80s, was blown over by strong winds and seriously injured. Further southwest on the Izu Peninsula, a man in his 30s was knocked over by winds and broke a rib bone.Narita, which is located outside of Tokyo, said that 88 international and 34 domestic departures and arrivals had been cancelled. More than 400 domestic flights were cancelled to and from Tokyo’s other major airport, Haneda.Mindulle had sustained winds of 108 kilometres per hour Monday evening, down from 126 kph when it made landfall, and gusts of up to 162 kph (100 mph). It was forecast to move north over the Tohoku region and reach Japan’s northernmost main island of Hokkaido on Tuesday.Japanese television showed scattered damage around the region. One house had lost much of its roof. A train on a small commuter line in western Tokyo had to be evacuated after the earth under the tracks gave way, leaving the tracks, train and overhead lines tilted, Japanese broadcaster NHK reported. No one was injured.More news:  Can you guess the top Instagrammed wedding locations in the world?Heavy rains have swollen rivers, and authorities warned of the possibility of flooding and landslides. Typhoon causes flight disruptions at Tokyo’s major airports << Previous PostNext Post >>last_img read more

Its the Big Day for 16 winning Canadian couples saying I do

first_img NASSAU — Wedding bells will be ringing throughout The Islands of The Bahamas as 16 Canadian couples say ‘I do’ at 16 different venues on Nassau/Paradise Island, Exuma, Eleuthera, Abaco, Cat Island and Bimini, at exactly 1600 hours (4 p.m.) on Nov. 16, 2016.The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism (BMOT) rolled out the red carpet for the 16 couples, who all finally arrived in New Providence on Monday after months of planning for their dream weddings in paradise.The couples were met with a warm welcome by the BMOT team at the Lynden Pindling International Airport where they were took advantage of a photo opportunity before being escorted to the Atlantis Paradise Island resort in a stretch limousine. They were alsoLater that evening the couples were treated to a welcome reception at Fathoms at Atlantis. Tourism Director General Joy Jibrulu thanked the couples for showing interest in The Islands of The Bahamas for their special day and invited them to celebrate all of their milestones in The Bahamas.More news:  Universal enhances popular Harry Potter vacation package with new perks“In 2015 the World Travel Awards voted The Bahamas the best wedding destination in the world,” Jibrilu told the couples. “It’s not just us saying that this is the best destination, it has been independently verified and we’re excited that you could experience some of the beautiful islands that earned us that title.“We’re delighted to have you here and to be a part of your special day. I hope that your journey is a beautiful one.” It’s the Big Day for 16 winning Canadian couples saying ‘I do’ in the Bahamas Travelweek Group Vinincia Strachan, Sr. Manager of Romantic Travel, said the idea of destination weddings in The Bahamas is growing in the Canadian market, and it is her hope that the promotion continues to stimulate growth.“More and more people are wanting to have destination weddings, and now they’re beginning to look at The Bahamas as one of the premiere destinations for a wedding. I’m hoping that this 16 weddings promotion inspires more Bahamas destination weddings, particularly to the Family Islands. We hope this promotion gets Canadians excited to learn about all of The Islands of The Bahamas,” she said.More news:  TRAVELSAVERS welcomes Julie Virgilio to the teamOn Nov. 13 the couples received their marriage licenses from the Registrar General Department and enjoyed some shopping at the Straw Market and John Bull in Downtown Nassau.Debbie Thompson and Jason Carrington from Toronto will wed in Nassau at Sapodilla Estates. “We’ve never been to The Bahamas before this but we’ll be back, it’s beautiful,” said Thompson. “We brought 21 people with us. This is a big deal for us and we’ll also be celebrating our one-year anniversary here in The Bahamas. We will never forget this; we will tell our grandchildren about this.”The couples were chosen out of hundreds of entries to the Ministry of Tourism’s ‘Bahamas 16 Weddings Invitation’ promotion. The unique multimedia contest invited engaged couples to select one of 16 locations within The Islands Of The Bahamas as a backdrop for their dream wedding. For more information see bahamas16weddings.com. << Previous PostNext Post >> Share Posted by Wednesday, November 16, 2016 Tags: Bahamaslast_img read more