Departing Reina: I deserved better

first_img Regarding Reina, the manager said last week: “From last season, really, as a manager I was led to believe that we were going to get an offer for Pepe (Reina) that would probably see him leave the club. “As events transpired, that move didn’t happen and it left us with two very good goalkeepers. Both would have been fighting for the number one position. “Then obviously an opportunity arose for Pepe and it was one we felt as a football club was best for him to take.” Reina has emphasised he ultimately accepts the call Liverpool have made. “Although it was not my decision to leave I will accept it just like I have always accepted any decision that Liverpool have taken for me,” he said. At Napoli, Reina will play under Rafael Benitez, who signed him for Liverpool from Villarreal in 2005 and is someone the goalkeeper considers to be “the best manager I have worked with”. During his time on Merseyside, Reina won the FA Cup in 2006 and League Cup in 2012. His current contract with them runs to 2016. Goalkeeper Jose Reina has expressed his disappointment at the manner of his departure from Liverpool, claiming the club decided to loan him to Napoli without telling him first and that he “deserved better”. The Spain international’s switch to the Italian side on a season-long deal has been confirmed by the Merseyside outfit. Reina has spent eight years at Anfield, and, in a letter to Reds fans published on his official website, the 30-year-old said: “If I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving. “It is only natural that I would be disappointed that the Liverpool management agreed to loan me to Napoli without telling me first. I thought that I deserved better than that, even though I understand that difficult decisions have to be taken in football.” Reina had also been linked this summer with a move to Barcelona, the Spanish giants he began his career with, and he admits he had made it known to Liverpool that it was something he wanted them to consider should such an offer come in. But Reina has also stressed he made it clear to Reds boss Brendan Rodgers he was otherwise happy to stay, and says that with no Barca approach having emerged, he was “surprised” about the Napoli situation arising. He said: “A lot has been made about me informing the club that if an offer came in from Barcelona that I would have liked them to consider it. “But I had also spoken to the club about the possibility of extending my contract if the offer was not made. “I told the manager that I wanted to play for Liverpool and that Barcelona would only become an option for me if the opportunity arrived, like the rumours said it would, as it would be a chance for me to go back home. “When it didn’t come I was happy to fight for my place so I was surprised that Liverpool decided it was in the club’s interests to send me to Napoli instead.” Liverpool added a new goalkeeper to their ranks in June, with Rodgers signing Belgium international Simon Mignolet from Sunderland. Press Associationlast_img read more

New texting system kicks off Saturday

first_imgIn an effort to more effectively monitor rowdy behavior during football games, the Department of Public Safety has teamed up with the Office of Student Affairs to offer an anonymous texting application that will alert authorities to inappropriate fan behavior.The application, which will be available starting at Saturday’s game against San Jose State, will allow fans to notify DPS of any unruly or disruptive behavior through a text, instead of calling or looking for officers patrolling the stands.“We already had a phone system, so it just seems like a logical next step to add texting to the phone capabilities,” said DPS Chief Carey Drayton. “In the crowded Coliseum, it’s probably easier to articulate what you want to say in a text.”Any visitor to the Coliseum who feels a fan’s behavior is getting out of hand can text the number 274637 with “TC4T” in the body of the message along with a description of the situation and the location. DPS will then send an officer to handle the situation.Lynette Merriman, senior associate dean of students for Student Affairs, said texts sent from football games will go to DPS first, and Student Affairs will be called in if DPS determines they need extra resources.“We partner with DPS in a lot of our endeavors,” said Merriman. “The text will first go to DPS. If Public Safety realizes that the support and resources of Student Affairs would help in the response to that student, we will be notified right away.”The texting service is being offered under the umbrella of the Trojans Care for Trojans program. Launched last October, TC4T gives students the ability to anonymously alert Student Affairs about students in need of counseling so administrators and faculty can take measures to help them. Formally adding DPS to TC4T will help widen Student Affairs’ reach to include more immediate situations, such as those at football games.Many students said they thought the texting system would be effective in the regular reserved seating but that it might be misused in the student section.“I think people might abuse it,” said Emily Levitan, a junior majoring in communication and theatre. “I feel like it wouldn’t be used the way they want it to.”Some, like Blaise Brunda, said they worried that texting would not work in the Coliseum, where many providers do not get service.“How would [students] even know that they are supposed to text to begin with?” said Brunda, a senior majoring in business administration. “And there’s the fact that we don’t get cell reception. I never get it.”Drayton said there would be an advertisement during the game to tell students about the texting system and the number they should send messages to.He also added that students can continue using the old way of reporting rowdy fans by searching out an officer in the stands if their cell phone does not have service in the Coliseum.“If a phone doesn’t work you can get up and find someone in a yellow jacket or uniform,” Drayton said. “I don’t control all aspects of technology. I can’t control what Verizon and AT&T do or what kind of service they provide on any given day.”According to Drayton, the Coliseum Commission is working to improve phone problems with many big providers, and the situation might improve throughout the season.To further ensure safety at the games, DPS has also added a surveillance camera to the Coliseum to specifically monitor areas that have seen a higher level of unruly behavior.“After someone reports this, we can keep the camera in that area for a little bit of time so that if there is any retaliation in that area, we’ll have it on tape,” Drayton said. “We already have an operational video that we scan the crowd with.”last_img read more